If I got paid every time a client came to me thinking the solution to a flat stomach was more ab workouts, I'd be retired. If you want the key to a flat stomach, see my 'Nutrition' section. Look, ab workouts are important, but maybe not for the reason you think. The core (abs AND lower back) are your foundation for stability. A strong core helps posture, balance, and eliminates pain, necessities when you think about how we stay in the same position for long periods of time. As an added bonus, abs and a valley in your lower back are pleasing to look at, however you MUST remove the fat first!
You want a flat stomach. Why? Is it because the belly is one of the toughest areas to lose fat from? Maybe you want to look good in a bathing suit? Maybe it's because you are constantly exposed to social media and pop culture valuing people with chiseled abs or a flat stomach. Whatever the reason is, abs are made in the kitchen. Even though I have laid out exercises below that target each angle of the abs, you will never see them unless you are below 12% BF for a guy and 20% BF for a girl.
Your lower back and abs needs to "hold their own" when it comes to lifting weights. That is, you don't want them to be the reason you are unable to increase weight on your squats, deadlifts, or any other broad exercise. Earlier we discussed lower back pain, its causes and prevention (stretching), but the other piece is strengthening. A strong core (both abs and lower back) will combat overactive muscles in other parts of the body, and also plays a role in eliminating lower back pain. Plus, your core protects some pretty important organs, right?
The post meal hot beverage
Abdomen (Top Focus)
- High Pully Cunches
- Machine Crunches - Video coming soon!
- Crunches - Video coming soon!
Abdomen (Bottom Focus)
- Kings Chair - Video coming soon!
- Leg Raises (Floor and Bench) - Video coming soon!
- Hanging Leg Raises - Video coming soon!
- Power Plank* Video coming soon!
- Side Bends (Dumbbell, Plate, High Pully) - Video coming soon!
- Roman Chair Side Bends - Video coming soon!
- Side Plank - Video coming soon!
- Back Extensions - Video coming soon!
- Cobra/Superman - Video coming soon!